We look forward to receiving your completed application via email to by the March 1, 2017 deadline. You will NOT submit your final completed application to the NEH.
If you anticipate any difficulties with electronic/email submission, contact us before February 28, 2017, and we will work with you to make other arrangements for submission.
A completed application consists of three components, included as PDF attachments:
- NEH application coversheet
- Résumé (including a professional reference)
- Application essay (no longer than 2 double-spaced pages)
1. NEH Application Coversheet
- You must fill this out online, print, and save electronically.
- Begin here.
- Follow the prompts to provide your contact information, information on your teaching, and the workshop selection with your first and second choices of dates.
- Click “submit” to send your information to the NEH — this is the only piece of the application that the NEH should receive directly. A confirmation page appears after you click submit.
- Please print the entire confirmation and coversheet BEFORE YOU CLOSE YOUR BROWSER, prepare to submit another coversheet, or navigate to another page!
- Create an electronic copy of your NEH application coversheet by scanning your printed confirmation or by saving the confirmation page as a PDF or HTML document.
2. Résumé and Reference
Please include a résumé or brief biography detailing your educational qualifications and professional experience. This should include the name, title, phone number, and e-mail address of one professional reference.
3. Application Essay
The application essay should be no more than two double‑spaced pages. The essay should address:
- your professional background
- your interest in the subject of the workshop
- special perspectives, skills, or experiences that would contribute to the workshop
- how the experience would enhance your teaching or school service
Please be specific in how you address these areas. We want to know what is compelling to you about the workshop New Orleans: Music, Culture and Civil Rights, what you will bring to the community of learners who engage in this particular investigation, and how you anticipate taking your experience back to your school.
To Submit Your Application:
NOTE – Materials must be submitted electronically (via email) in PDF format. Contact us by February 28 if you anticipate any difficulty with these requirements.
- Send your NEH coversheet confirmation, résumé with reference, and essay as PDF attachments via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DO NOT SEND ITEMS TO THE NEH. Application materials sent to the NEH will NOT be reviewed.
- Submission Deadline: 11:59 PM Pacific Time on March 1, 2017.
While recent participants in NEH Summer Programs (NEH Landmarks Workshops, NEH Summer Seminars, or NEH Summer Institutes) are eligible to apply, applicants who have not participated in an NEH-supported seminar, institute, or workshop within the last three years will be given first consideration. Additionally, preference is given to applicants who would significantly contribute to the diversity of the workshop.
After You Apply:
A workshop team member will confirm receipt of the cover letter, résumé, and essay within 1 week of your submission. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please call us at (504) 314-2854.
Successful applicants will be notified of their selection on March 31, 2017 and will have until April 7, 2017, to accept or decline the offer. Please be sure that you have provided an email address and phone number at which you can be reached during that week.
Once you have accepted an offer to attend any NEH Summer Program, you may not accept an additional offer or withdraw in order to accept a different offer.
Once you confirm your participation, you will receive additional information about housing, online readings, and other details pertaining to the workshops.
Once you have accepted an offer to attend any NEH Summer Program (NEH Landmarks Workshop, NEH Summer Seminar, or NEH Summer Institute), you may not withdraw in order to accept an offer from another program.